June 5, 2020
| 12:19 p.m.
It solely takes a couple of seconds for an individual to drown, and drowning accidents are the main reason behind demise for youngsters 1 to four years of age.
Nearly 70 p.c of all drowning accidents happen in yard swimming swimming pools; nonetheless, individuals can drown in just some inches of water.
Santa Barbara County hearth would love share the next swimming pool security tricks to forestall drownings:
• By no means enable kids to be alone when close to water; ensure that an grownup is all the time current.
• Make certain the pool is safe always.
• Hold toys out of the pool space when not in use.
• Mount accepted floatation gadgets close to the pool. Many toy floatation gadgets are considered lifesaving gadgets — they don’t seem to be. They’re toys.
• By no means dive into an above-ground pool. Know the depth of the water earlier than you try to dive.
• Hold a phone exterior close to the pool. Don’t go away kids unattended to speak on the phone.
• Submit the 911 emergency quantity on the phone.
If a baby or grownup is in hassle in a pool:
• Don’t panic. Yell for assist.
• Get the kid or grownup out of the pool instantly.
• Name 911 instantly for emergency medical service.
• Start CPR if obligatory.
• In case you are not skilled in CPR, comply with the phone directions from the Fireplace Division Dispatcher till firefighters arrive to help you.
The Santa Barbara County Fireplace Division urges all Santa Barbara County residents to train security throughout any water leisure exercise.